Friday, September 7, 2012

OK let me get this straight: I can purchase a supersize soda in Massachusetts and a bottled water in NY city...no wait, it's the other way around

So Concord Massachusetts is deeming plastic water bottles as banned and illegal within their city?  So that means that the nice healthy bottled water in their soda machines will be removed and replaced with what -- sugary and caffeinated soft drinks?

And a plastic bottle is OK for my soda, energy drink and juice, just not for water?  So if I'm packing the family cooler for a road trip, camping trip or picnic, I have to drive to another town to purchase bottled water for our vacay?

And in Bloomberg's NY, I can fill all the trash cans in the city with empty plastic water bottles, but I'm not allowed a large soda at a drive thru, because I must be too stupid to regulate my sugar, caffeine and soda intake -- the mayor has to legislate what I'm allowed to purchase?

While the fast food soda proposal annoyed the heck out of me, the Massachusetts legislation is outrageous.  One citizen decided that "purchasing bottled water" was a ridiculous idea, and she garnered enough support to outlaw it?

The worst part about the Concord law IMHO...is that there are lots of historic colonial and victorian homes across New England.  I have several friends who have lived there, and they never allowed their children to drink tap water due to high risk of lead in the water within their homes.  So I suppose that if you live in a historic home in Concord, your kids are SOL.  ("Kids: drink all the LEAD filled tap water you want, but you can never touch recyclable, responsible bottled water.  Oh no,  it's lead filled water for my kids.  AND ALL THE SODA YOU WANT.")

SHAME on all those folks in Concord who chose not to vote down this law.  Never never forgo your chance to vote, especially on RIDICULOUS legislation!

No comments:

Post a Comment